The department has been in existence since the inception of the hospital in Apo, FCT. When the hospital moved to the permanent site in 2012, the department expanded to 3 units- outpatient unit, inpatient unit and emergency unit, with staff strength of 15.
Currently, the department has 9 units around the clock and catering to different cadres of patients. The current staff strength is 46.
WHAT DO WE DO
- Procurement, storage and distribution of essential medicines and consumables for the hospital
- Processing and filling of prescriptions
- Dispensing of safe and efficacious medicines
- Pharmaceutical care
- Drug information service
- Production of periodic drug bulletin
- Identifying and resolving drug therapy problems
- Patient counselling
- Pharmacists drug round
- Compounding of extemporaneous formulations
- Production of alcohol-based sanitizer
- Production of disinfectant sprays for surfaces
- Professional seminars and clinical presentations
- Residency training for West African Postgraduate College of Pharmacy
- The teaching of student and intern pharmacists.
- Outpatient units
- Paediatrics unit
- Managed care unit
- Private wing unit
- Special treatment care unit
- Compounding pharmacy unit
- Clinical ward rounds
- IVF unit
- Emergency unit
N.B: Inpatient Pharmacy is about to commence operations.